[CentOS] Re: CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 18 23:01:51 UTC 2005

From: Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net>
> exactly one of the reasons i started this thread...
> 1st and most important bottom line is that CentOS works for me.

And for myself as well.  I deploy it like RHEL, just without the SLA.

> 2nd is that I need to lay a different type of solid foundation of server
> hardware with CentOS to jump from, other than the machines I build from
> scratch... even though they work fine and last forever...

I self-assemble personal systems, possibly even desktops on occassion.
I tend to avoid it when it comes to consulting and servers, never.

[ SIDE NOTE:  You'll note I purposely use the term "assemble," not build.
That's my Angineer (anal engineer) coming out in me, although even I
slip at times. ;-]

I'll deploy whatever tier-1 OEM the client has standardized on.
When they are open to it, Monarch Computer has built itself as a solid
tier-2 vendor that will assemble whatever you need, but they have well
tested in other sales.
I've yet to throw something at Monarch Computer they can't deliver for
a client.

1U, 2U, 3U, 4 ... value, commodity or enterprise, they do it well at almost
a "NewEgg-level" price.  And did I mention they are basically the first
OEM with the latest AMD stuff?  Let alone have no issue in supporting
3Ware.  And if you want RHEL with SLAs, they'll bundle it with software
support for the hardware (RHEL AS is around only $1,300 sold as such).

Of course, they'll also ship with Debian, Fedora Core, SuSE Linux, etc...
too if you just want software (and hardware-only support).

> unfortunately I have NEVER (looked for years too) found cheap yet rock
> solid 2U - 4U rack mount cases with or without redundant power
> supplies and any other goodies.  $200 or much less I think would be
> adequate eh?

_Not_ on redundant, hot-swap power.  Now if you're mainboard takes
redundant power (and handles the transient), that's another story.

> It's like everyone "goes stupid" when you ask where to get them
> (i.e. cheap reliable solid rack mount cases) or something. I mean
> really extremely brain dead never heard of em cant do it they cost
> and arm and a leg and we cannot stand behind it stupid!!

Monarch Computer does a good job.  Most of their assemble-to-order
prices are extremely competitive.  It's all about volume.

> Isn't there a market for that so we can build CentOS servers galore?

I think people are more interested in getting the whole hardware+
software deal, or getting it at economies-of-scale volume.  Monarch
Computer is tough to beat in the combined price/service and I consider
them a tier-2.

> anyways... some of this started when Bryan and others mentioned
> that the PIII chip had some advantages over some P4 versions or
> something to that effect.

All I said was that old P3s aren't always "worse" than P4s.

Especially the "cheap" P4-Celeron chipset-interconnect designs I've
seen.  Especially if you can find a ServerSet IIIHE[-SL] chipset.

As far as the P3 v. P4 core, P4 sucks in comparison MHz for MHz to
a P3.  That's why Intel is going back to it for all new designs
(beyond just the current Pentium M).

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org