[CentOS] what are the raw device size limitations

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Tue Jul 19 18:36:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:28:43PM -0400, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> Does anyone know the raw device size limitation with CentOS-3 and CentOS-4

centos 3 (kernel 2.4) will probably have a 2TB device size limit.

centos 4 (kernel 2.6) will go much larger.  Be wary, though - not only
the kernel, but also your device drivers for your scsi card or whatever
will need to be aware of the large device sizes.  Your RAID, too.

while using genuine RHEL 4, I ran into problems on x86_64 - my
fibrechannel card's device driver had a 2TB bug, and so did the LVM
stuff in the 2.6.9 kernel.

I got a new device driver from the FC vendor, and upgraded my kernel
manually to 2.6.11.7 and things seemed to work properly with an LVM
stripe across 2 5.5TB volumes.  It is waiting to go into production
due to unrelated application issues so i can't say that it has been
rock solid reliable for x months but in our several-day tortue test
it worked fine.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile