[CentOS] Not booting without keyboad.

John Murray murray.john at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:01:57 UTC 2005

On 7/22/05, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo-route.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I'm running CentOS 3 on a Dell celeron 500/256 MB.  It won't boot
> without a keyboard and that is a problem for me.  I know it is not a
> perfect setup, but I'd like to have it boot w/o a keyboard.  The Bios
> doesn't seem to care too much about the fact that no keyboard is plugged
> in, as it loads Grub and starts booting the kernel.  It hangs, usually
> around
>
> Total HugeTLB memory allocated, 0
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,

I ran in to this same issue on some Intel 810 mother boards, the BIOS
was setup to ignore keyboard errors so it would start booting centos,
and the kernel would hang in the same place.  I fixed this by adding
the "apm=off" kernel parameter in the grub.conf file.

My fix was to add "apm=off" to the end of each kernel line in the
grub.conf file like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/ apm=off