[CentOS] Re: IDE RAID support -- clarification ...

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Jul 25 16:02:05 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>>??? I thought XP Pro can use LDM and striping/mirroring, just
>>like Windows 2000 Pro ???
>

> Just FYI, you have to use a Logical Disk Manager (LDM)
> Disk Label** (aka "Dynamic Disk") to use the software RAID
> features of Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro (not sure about
> XP Home, what it offers).

On 2000 Pro and XP Home/Pro, the option is there, but either grayed out
or there's popup screen informing you that it works only on Server and
up (don't remember anymore).  You need to have at least Server version
of Windows in order to use it.  Unless of course you managed to hack
something in the registry to enable it (in which case you violated
licencing agreement, and sure, I'd like to know how you did it ;-).
Currently, the only software RAID option for 2000 Pro and XP Home/Pro
are those fake RAID controllers with their specialized drivers (I'm not
aware of any 3rd party general purpuse software RAID drivers for Windows).

Of course, all this holds only if Microsoft hasn't decided to unlock the
feature in one of the service packs (which I doubt).