[CentOS] Re: Fighting some install issues with a new box -- Linux kernel issue then?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 26 05:01:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 21:01 -0700, Sean O'Connell wrote:
> I do see the 3Ware BIOS at boot. Trouble is once the box has booted, no
> love.

Oh, so you _are_ seeing the 3Ware BIOS.

If you go into the "Boot" portion of the Phoenix ServerBIOS, you should
also see the 3Ware card as a boot option under disks (and can move
around the order) -- correct?

So now it looks like it might be the Linux kernel.

> See above. Card is seen during POST.
> Yeppers. No love.

Hmmm, it's a "long shot," but you could try the nForce package from
nVidia.  I seriously doubt it will do a thing, because the package is
pretty much just peripheral support (ATA, NIC, audio etc...), GPL
components that are already in stock kernel 2.4.23+/2.6.5+ (with
exception of the older/alternative OSS audio and older NIC drivers).

The APIC, I2C, PCI, etc... issues are not what those packages address.
I.e., when most people say "a chipset is not supported by Linux," they
are talking about the peripheral components in the chipset, not the core
APIC, I2C, PCI, etc...

BTW, I saw a note on the nVidia CK04 (nVidia Pro 2200) chipset in Red
Hat Bugzilla, but it seemed unrelated.  It was also for CentOS 3, not
CentOS 4.  No searches anywhere are turning up issues with 3Ware cards
on the S2895 mainboard.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->