[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 27 15:16:34 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Whats wrong with CentOS4 that he has just installed ?

_Nothing_.

> The orignal post was about sources/ repositories for
> CentOS4, and not whats wrong with FC4.

But he brought up getting packages from FC4.

I was trying to convey ...
1)  FC4 is the next ".0" revision, and
2)  FC3 is the ".1" revision that _maps_to_ RHEL4

People who tap FC packages for RHEL4 (or CentOS4) need to be
_aware_ of this!  There is not a day that goes by that people
think FC4 -> RHEL4.  It is FC3 -> RHEL4!

[ Now I blame Red Hat for that, but that's another story. ]

> Can we atleast try and keep some sort of thread sanity here
> ? If you have nothing to say about the issues raied in the
> original post, please dont. If you have an opinion on
> something that might be related from an outside angle -
feel
> free to start a new thread ( so that people with no
interest
> can safely ignore it ).

He went to Fedora Core 3 to get a package for CentOS.

Knowing that FC4 is a new ".0" release and uses GCC 4 is
very, very pretinent to why you're going to have build issues
on RHEL4 (and CentOS4)!  And that's why he needs to stick
with FC3 if he's going to attempt to use packages from Fedora
for CentOS4!