[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 27 17:49:27 UTC 2005

Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
> Well, Red Hat and many Fedora users would argue with that
> characterization (the real serious bleeding is done in
> development/rawhide and test releases), but FC4 certainly
> seems to be causing more than the usual amount of blood-
> loss for a FC final release.

I really didn't even assert that first part, I tried to be
brief.  I just merely stated that, just like FC2, I was
"holding off" on FC4 adoption.  I made that "pre-emptive
decision" when GCC 4 went in (among other things), and
I like to think my logic has held true.

Now that aside, I wanted to convey that FC3 ~ RHEL4.
I also wanted to convey that this is _not_ well known,
and even the new, Unofficial Fedora Core FAQ is stating
FC4 ~ RHEL4 (incorrect).

Why I got bounced on, I don't know.  I'm really sorry
for being verbose at times, and I'm trying to curb that.
I'm trying to "get to the point," but sometimes, I find
that by providing extra information, I answer 2-3
follow-up questions.

I know a lot of the "experts" around here probably glaze
their eyes at times at me.  But I've also had experts
come back after I've answered one of their questions
and said they would never question why I add information,
because it helped them answer subsequent questions as
well.

It's a difficult balance to obtain, and I apologize for
what may appear to be someone who "likes to hear himself
talk."  But in all honesty, that's not my intent.  I'm
really for discussions to find the root cause, proliferate
understanding and many other things so people don't run
into them again.