[CentOS] Re: 4g/4g -- reloaded ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 28 00:26:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 10:46 -0400, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> Okay, I did some elementary research and it appears it was never
> adopted in the stock 2.4 kernel.  Although 2.6 seems to have been
> designed for it -- although I see the issues you were talking about,
> largely when user >2GiB.  I'd be interested in finding out if they have
> the same issues with the 64GiB mode and formal PAE36 paging.

Just FYI, I confirmed it is a 2.6 thing, and Red Hat backported it to
2.4.  I also refreshed myself to find out that _both_ 1G/3G (aka
HIGHMEM) and 4G/4G are PAE36 approaches.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->