[CentOS] Updating - CentOS Repository

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 02:41:52 UTC 2005

On 7/27/05, Root Fac. Cs. Politicas <ccastro at fcpolit.unr.edu.ar> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if any of you know why the CentOS repository are not
> updated? for example, i just heard about the bugs of the version <=1.4.4
> of Squirrelmail and on their website there is already a stable packet
> 1.4.5, but in the CentOS repository the only available version is the
> 1.4.3 9a
>
> Any ideas?

RedHat, and by proxy CentOS backport fixes to security problems rather
than upgrading to new versions, as new versions can introduce new
problems. What is released as an update by centos and RHEL is patched,
so you can't really go by version number alone.

> Another thing, im new using yum so i have a question, for example if i
> put "yum install squirrelmail1.4.5" but i have the version 1.4.3 already
> installed in my system, what happens? does the yum override the old
> version? what happens with the config files?

This depends on the RPM, and what's marked as a config file. For
proper packages, config files are not replaced, and new default
configs are created as configfilename.rpmnew. Also, to upgrade you
don't need to tell it to install the new one. Simply do "yum update"
or "yum upgrade". This will install check for any newer versions of
packages that you have installed, and ask if it's okay to install
them.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT