[CentOS] what the best ? apt-get? yum or urpmi ?

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu Jul 28 10:12:52 UTC 2005

Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >I had to look up adept to see if it carries any special meaning. Not
> >finding one I still fail to understand the above text fragment.
> >Especially as yum and apt-get use the same information for resolving
> >dependencies - the provides and requires available in the RPMs in a
> >repository.
>
> to expound, apt-get has a facility where you can assign preference to
> certain repositories over others when more than one repository has the
> same RPM. You can, on a per package level assign preference to certain
> repositories, which makes it much easier to mix repositories.

Ah, okay. You mean pinning.

> With yum you are limited to disabling or enabling whole repositories,
> which makes it impossble if certain RPMS depend on other RPMS which
> are not in the same repositories.

That's not true. You can exclude packages on a per repository basis. So
if I see that (for example) livna and freshrpms both provide mplayer,
but I do like the one from livna better, then I could put a
"exclude=mplayer*,libpostproc*" in freshrpms.repo.

There's no need for disabling a complete repository.

> Maybe the 'smart' packaging system will sort this out, but
> it appears to be still in an early stage of development.

Could be, yes.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...HA-Multimedia | ....to right-justify any idea, even one