[CentOS] Tyan Thunder K8SE S2892 Report

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Thu Jul 28 23:10:02 UTC 2005

Kirk Bocek wrote:

>I had my eye on the Tyan dual-Opteron mobos for awhile. I tried to find
>a posting *anywhere* sharing experiences with these boards under Linux.
>No such luck. So placing myself under the heading "Where Angles Fear to
>Tread," I went ahead and built a system anyway. Here's what I've learned.
>
>The specs:
>Tyan Thunder K8SE S2892, BIOS 1.01
>2x Opteron 270, 2Ghz Dual-Core, retail package with fan
>2GB RAM (4x SuperTalent 512MB P/N D32RB12P3)
>3Ware 9500S-4LP 4 port SATA controller
>4x 200GB Segate ST3200826AS 7200.8 SATA (attached to 3Ware controller)
>1x 80GB Wester Digital WD800JD-00LSA0 SATA (attached to onboard controller)
>Antec Truepower 2.0 550W PSU
>Chenming 901A-0-0 RTL Case
>Supermicro 5-drive SATA HD Cage
>CentOS 4.1 x86_64
>
>I thought I bought a plenty large case. Turns out the CPU heat sink at
>the front of the motherboard sticks up far enough to interfere with the
>drive bays at the bottom of the case. I had carefully mounted the CPUs,
>heat sinks and memory before mounting the motherboard. When I tried to
>insert the motherboard, the front heat sink hit the shelf that supports
>one of the two internal hard drive cages that come with the Chenming
>case. I had to peel off the heat sink to get the board in then reinstall
>it -- something I didn't want to do. If the case was 9" wide instead of
>8", this probably wouldn't be an issue.
>
>The heat sink sticks up far enough to keep me from reinstalling the
>internal hard drive cages. Not a problem since I'm using the Supermicro
>SATA cage, but it bugs me to lose expansion possibilities. Can anyone
>recommend a "low-rise" Opteron heat sink?

Monarch lists 3 1U all-copper-no-fan heat sinks that I bet would work.
Please note the speculative nature of that recommendation !!!! I have
been aiming for an Opteron based system for a while now, that's why I
joined this list :-).

<snip>

--
	William A. Mahaffey III