[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 install DVD

Fri Jul 29 09:39:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 03:54 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 23:50 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with the DVD is that it is > 2.0 GB and can not be served via
> > > apache (and even some FTP servers) because of this size.  It is also a
> > > bandwidth issue and storage issue (there are about 20GB of DVDs, the
> > > entire tree is only 60GB without DVDs).
> >
> > Just out of pure curiosity.  What is then Red Hat using?  If I remeber
> > correctly, Fedora DVD images are available from their HTTP/FTP servers.
> >   And I guess it would be bad PR if they don't use what they ship with
> > their flagship OS ;-)
>
> Neither RHEL or FedoraCore is available via DVD from official Red Hat
> channels ... So they don't serve > 2gb files.  The official mirrors for
> RedHat and Fedora Core are not using standard RHEL files (at least not
> standard RHEL 3 or 4), they say:
>
> "Apache" and not "Apache(Red Hat)"
>
> If you don't believe me concerning RH not distributing DVDs, see this
> link:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/
>
> This is just another way where the copy is better than the original :)

I did find a 2.5gb DVD for FC4 on the duke mirror ... probably made by
skvidal :) (it was not on the main fedora mirror or any other mirror I
checked).

They (duke) are using lighttpd/1.3.13 to serve the DVD and on their
fedora / centos mirrors.  I am not sure about what OS they are using for
their mirrors, as they have a mix of Fedora / RHEL / CentOS servers in
http://linux.duke.edu/ , as noted here:

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/netblock?q=DUKE-NET,152.3.0.0,152.3.255.255

As a side note, official RHEL 3 and RHEL 4 DVDs are also not download-
able via RHN.  This is a quite frequent complaint on the mailing lists.