[CentOS] RE: Using CentOS as a file server on a win2K domain--nothing to do with alternatives

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jul 29 17:28:27 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mostly you need to plan a 'forklift' upgrade where you
> toss all your old client software the day you replace the
> server - not something a large organization ever wants to
> do.

Not true at all.

In the late '90s, I used to run HP OpenMail to Schedule+ and,
later, Outlook 97/98/2000 clients using it's MAPI SP.

Turn of the millenium, I used to use Bynari InsightConnector
for Outlook 98/2000 clients using its more stable connection
than a MAPI SP.

And there are countless other examples.

But no, you can't just drop in one vendor's solution for
another without some changes.  I don't know any solutions in
the world that work that way.

But I can tell you it's far, far less painful to upgrade to a
Samba server (and a _real_ enterprise backend) from a NT4.0
domain than to ADS.