[CentOS] LVM Snapshot Create Error

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jul 31 02:01:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 18:25 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Nope. No help at all. ;)
> I've been using snapshots for as long as CentOS/Whitebox 3 have been
> around (just transitioned away from Whitebox). I would very much like to
> get it working on my 4.1 systems.
> So you can create snapshots but not remove them under 4.1?

Kernel 2.6 with LVM2 (RHEL4) is very different than Kernel 2.4 with LVM
(RHEL3).  The device-mapper (DM) facilities provide snapshots, as well
as software RAID-1 mirroring (instead of MD, which is also an option),
resizing, etc...

Last time I checked, most of the LVM2/DM tools were getting there, as
long as you didn't do more than one operation at a time (e.g., snapshot
of a LVM2 RAID-1 mirror).  If you did, that created a race condition.

I haven't messed with LVM2/DM since late last fall as a result.

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you