[CentOS] Re: Japanese Language Support? -- same system, multiple uses with multiple languages

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Sun Jul 31 17:51:21 UTC 2005

>In UNIX/Linux, language settings are environmental variables.  All you
>would need to do is set a variable and export it before a program
>starts.  T

But if I understand this correctly, this would cause the interface of
that program to be in Japanese as well. The only thing I want to make
Japanese is my input. So, for example, when I use Firefox in Windows,
all the menus and buttons are in English, but when I type a search into
Google, I can do so with English or Japanese characters at my discretion.

>You can do either with X.  You can continue to use your English keyboard
>_and_ you can plug in a Japanese keyboard simultaneously.

This is different from the desired functionality. I want to only need my
one keyboard, my English one, and use it for English and Japanese input.
As I do with Windows.

Dave