[CentOS] CentOS newbie question - updates

Fri Jul 1 05:17:20 UTC 2005
Chris (CentOS list) <centos.org_list at 000a.com>

Pardon the newbie question, but I thought I'd check with you guys here since
I couldn't find the answer to this one on CentOS web site.

I installed CentOS 3.4 (needed an equivalent of RHEL 3.4 for a very specific
purpose - not interested in newer releases at this point) and downloaded all
available up2date stuff.  However, Apache is at v2.0.46, php is at 4.3.4,
and so on - which are all quite old versions.  I was under the impression
that Red Hat rolls updates into existing versions and what may show as
Apache 2.0.46, may indeed include updates and patches that are available in
the most current release, 2.0.54.....  Is this the case here, with CentOS,
or should I be looking somewhere for actual rpms for Apache, php, and so on,
to bring them up to 'latest' standards?  If so - where??  up2date doesn't
seem to be loading anything more current than what I mentioned above.

If current patches are rolled into old versions, how does one distinguish
between the "old" Apache 2.0.46 and "new/patched" 2.0.46??

Thanks,

Chris