[CentOS] Text to Speech on CentOS4

Thu Jul 28 13:51:00 UTC 2005
James B. Byrne <ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca>

I am setting up a laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-4?) for my learning disabled
son (age 11).  I have previously used MicroSoft 2Kpro and XPpro /
Office 2K platforms for text-to-speech applications as that is what
most commercial LD Assist software is written for.  However, with MS
now requiring that one inventories ones entire computer software
configuration with them before getting updates to their software
coupled with the high risk nature of  doing without those updates, I
am reluctant to continue this practice.

What I am looking for is a robust, good quality, text-to-speech
reader that can work with Open Office under CentOS4.  I have googled
extensively but frankly I need a bit of guidance as to what is the
best of breed available.  If the package uses/supports ATT Natural
Voices as an option then that would be wonderful as I already have
the necessary licences for those voices. Does anyone here have any
experience with this type of software and can recommend a particular
package?  Commercial apps. are fine.  It is functionality I am after,
not economies.

My next requirement will be an OCR package equivalent in function
and accuracy to AABBY Fine Reader.  Any suggestions there?

Regards,
Jim
--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca