[CentOS] Kickstart-based Install, editing comps.xml, hdlist/hdlist2

Tue Jul 5 20:42:08 UTC 2005
alex at milivojevic.org <alex at milivojevic.org>

Quoting "dan.trainor" <dan.trainor at gmail.com>:

> Hey there, Johnny -
>
> I've been playing around for the past few days with the info that you
> have provided, and it has been a great help.  I'd like to thank you for
> that.
>
> However, I'm still just a bit confused.
>
> My problem is, that I don't need to create a whole new distribution, but
> rather, just remaster the data on an ISO that I've made of all the
> packages I'll be needing, including editing comps.xml and generating
> base/hdlist{2} files from the editing.  As far as I can gather, this is
> a lot to ask.
>
> Would you mind me asking where you gathered the information to create
> this script, or like everyone else, did you hear from a friend of a
> friend who's cousin found a note written by someone who used to work for
> RedHat that had a friend that made these distributions?  That's the
> story I hear every single time.
>
> For something so critical, I don't know why this process is so cryptic.
> Anaconda and kickstart installations have tremendous power, and it's
> all going to waste becase only a small handfull of people can actually
> pull it off.

While Fedora's Wiki could have more usefull documentation, there are some very
usefull links:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnancondaUsefulLinks

For example, the very first link is to an article from Linux Journal.
It deals
with Red Hat 8.0, but most of it is still applicable to Fedora Core and/or Red
Hat Enterprise Linux.

So, yeah, the information is scattered all around and scarce, but with more or
less research, most of it is out there somewhere ;-)