[CentOS] Compiling kernel 2.6.12.2 with gcc-3.4.3-22.1

Wed Jul 6 14:43:54 UTC 2005
Jose Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net>

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>>I read somewhere that by compiling a new kernel (2.6.11, I think),
>>this problem might go away and I wanted my system to run as
>>efficiently so decided to compile a new kernel.  Am I doing the right
>>thing?  Thanks!
>>

>My ignorance here, is there a CentOS "Development" kernel or other
>option?  I noticed the one in CentOS plus, but it is still based on the
>stock 2.6.9.  I assume that's for maximum compatibility.
>
>If not, I typically use Fedora Development (fka Rawhide), although I
>would _not_ recommend that for production systems.  Grab the SRPM from
>Fedora Development and see if it builds (rpmbuild --build --target=i386|
>i686|x86_64) on CentOS 4:
>
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.12-1.1421_FC5.src.rpm
>
>I would at least try this one _instead_ of a "stock kernel" from
>kernel.org.  Or is there another option that I'm not aware of?

Sorry, I'm not very experienced and didn't know exactly where to turn to
compile a new kernel.  Thanks for the link!  I'd much rather have an rpm
than compiling directly from source!