[CentOS] Dual booting centos 4.1 and Solaris 10 express build 15

Thu Jul 7 18:05:45 UTC 2005
mohamed yusuf <myusuf32 at yahoo.ca>

--- Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>
wrote:

> mohamed yusuf wrote:
> > I have been trying to multiboot centos 4.1 and the
> > current solaris express build 15. I have two hard
> > drive s, the first one ( hd0 ) devoted to CentOS
> 4.1
> > and windows xp (no problems). The second drive
> (hd1)
> > for Solaris 10 only. I tried to boot solaris from
> > CentOS grub and got the following error messages:
> >
> > Booting Solaris 10
> > root(hd1,0)
> > Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0Xbf
> > kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
> > Error 17: can not mount  selected partition
> > press any key to continue....
>
> Grub knows how to read BSD UFS type of file system,
> but I'm not sure
> about Solaris file system.  Solaris UFS is basically
> BSD UFS with some
> extra stuff.  You said you were able to boot it
> before.  Some of the
> reasons for failure could be:
>
>   - wrong partition type
>   - logging enabled on Solaris UFS
>   - different version of Solaris UFS
>   - Solaris kernel stored outside of BIOS
> addressable disk area
>
> Also, I'm not sure if you want to have makeactive
> and chainloader
> options if Grub is loading kernel directly.

I have taken out makeactive  and chainloader + no
success

> One thing to check is how disk is organized.  I
> remember that Solaris
> likes to have an partition for itself, install
> Solaris disklabel onto
> it, and then sub-partition it into 8 partitions (so
> basically you get
> partitions inside partitions, something like
> extended partition in
> DOS/Windows).  Somehow I doubt Grub would be able to
> read that.

> If you simply can't make Grub to mount Solaris
> partition, and load the
> kernel, your best bet would be installing Solaris
> boot loader onto first
> partition of second disk, and using similar
> configuration as for booting
> Windows XP.  Something along the lines:

I installed solaris boot loader on it own pratition (
hd1,0)and got the same result. The only thing I have
not tried is booting CentOs from Solaris boot loader (
reverse)

> title Solaris 10
>     rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>     chainloader +1