[CentOS] iPod on Centos 4

Fri Jul 8 08:56:11 UTC 2005
Jesse <j at lumiere.net>

> Sorry, didn't catch that. That's really odd. My experience with CentOS 4 was
> similar error, but recompiling the kernel with EFI disabled fixed it. What
> iPod is it?

I agree, it's odd. It's an iPod mini 4GB. Maybe variations in the USB
controller are coming into play. On my searches I've seen other people
complain that they had USB hard drives (other than the iPod) work under
older 2.6.x kernels, then break in later versions, then work again in
2.6.11. So maybe it's a bug in interaction with my USB controller that was
later fixed, but the fix wasn't backported to the RHEL4 kernel.

My controller (from lspci -v):
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
         Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0174
         Memory at ffa80800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
         Capabilities: [58] Debug port

---
Jesse <j at lumiere.net>