[CentOS] Re: Evolution rpm for CentOS?

Fri Jul 8 11:20:03 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 06:14 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> Err, that's not "internal information,", it's the official Fedora policy
> as stated at <http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/> (see "What is the
> errata policy for The Fedora Project?").

I think the _current_ Policy is dropping FC[x-1] 1-2 months before FC[x
+1], typically at FC[x+1] Test 2.  FC[x] remains _until_ FC[x+2] Test 2.

I assume Nikos meant that the Red Hat rep stated the change would be
dropping FC[x] 1-2 months before FC[x+1], possibly at FC[x+1] Test 2.
That would mean there would be 1-2 months where _no_ Fedora Core release
was considered "current."

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 12:56 +0300, Nikos Zaharioudakis wrote:
> At my point of view, this could mean a further push to drive current
> FCx or FCx-1 installations to migrate either to RHEL -----> or to
> CentOS :-)).

At my point of view, Red Hat would _shoot_themselves_in_the_foot_.  As I
have repeatedly stated, if Red Hat sacrifices Fedora Core adoption, they
only hurt the adoption, testing and stability of the next Red Hat
Enterprise Linux release.

So far, Red Hat has been very precise and consistent in all their Fedora
Core moves, nothing unexpected.  E.g., Much of Red Hat's policy on
Fedora Core existed 2-3 years in Red Hat Linux before the creation of
the project -- in many cases as a "clarification" that they don't like
to support 6-7 simultaneous revisions and only do 2-3 (typically the
"last .2/.3" until the "next .1/.2" came out).

So I chalk this up to either:

A)  A utterly Fedora and, subsequently, RHEL destroying move

B)  A Red Hat European sales rep with a "Joachim Kempin" syndrome
    -- someone Red Hat should _fire_immediately_

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->