[CentOS] Backup Server with rsync methods

Fri Jul 8 13:14:24 UTC 2005
scott.list <scott.list at mlec.net>

To all who provided helpful input so far, thanks.

>From your collective responses, I now believe it would be better to
develop an "include" list for rsyncing instead of a "exclude" list and
trying to mirror the whole thing.

My real, main objective is to be able to get a config working on a
local machine for FTP, Postfix, Apache, etc. then quickly getting a
remote server up and running with those configs in a quick fashion.  I
would like to have my configuration "portable" so to speak so I may
change providers on a whim if desired, and to do minimal configuration
on the remote server to quickly get it to the stage and setup of my
main, home box.

>From your input I gather a better way to accomplish that goal would be
to have the remote hosting company turn up the server with Centos on
it, then I can yum update/install the necessary packages to it, then
rsync most of my software package configs to it.

I think <smile>.

Thanks again for the help.  Further coaching welcome...

Best, Scott