[CentOS] raid5 crash

Sat Jul 9 16:27:07 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 11:45 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> after we change the motherboard, the raid contorller and the cables
> too we still got it. finally we start netdump and last but not least
> yesterday we got a crash log and a core file. it seems there is a bug
> in the raid5 code of the kernel.  this is our backup server with 8 x
> 200GB hdd in a raid5 (for the data) plus 2 x 40GB hdd in raid1 (for
> the system) with 3ware 8xxx raid contorller, running. i attached the
> netdump log of the last crash.  how can i fix it?

It looks like you are using the 3Ware Escalade card as "just a bunch of
disks" (JBOD) and not using hardware RAID-5.  Is there any reason you're
doing this?  Kinda seems to defeat the purpose of the card?

Also be sure to always update the firmware of the card to the latest,
and match it with the latest driver.  Running an older firmware with a
newer driver is never ideal.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I agree with your design of a RAID-1 (or RAID-10) "system" and
RAID-5 "data."  I use 3Ware Escalade 8 and 12 channel cards all-the-time
in this exact configuration:  2+6 and 4+8 for RAID-1/10 and RAID-5 on
8506-8 and 8506-12 cards, all respectively.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->