[CentOS] Re: raid5 crash

Sun Jul 10 14:46:47 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 21:54 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> It is FAR more likely that you'll lose a disk than the hardware
> RAID card.

Exactly.  "On-line" backup (RAID, snapshots, etc...) is not a
replacement for "off-line" backup (tape, RRD, maybe some HDs), although
near-line (power/usage managed HD) is somewhat of an option (especially
when not sending everything to tape, which is a good strategy today).

> I can't imagine why the original poster is using the 3Ware card
> as a "dumb" IDE controller.  That makes *zero* sense.

Well, he did say something I didn't think of, there was no real
hot-swap support except for with a 3Ware card.  But I want to say
that RAIDCore (typically 8-channel ATA PCI cards that use their
own FRAID driver(s)) also has hot-swap too.

> It's at least as reliable (and maybe moreso) than the Linux software
> RAID bits (which is also pretty darned reliable).

Other than the 3Ware 6000 series, I have _never_ heard of an issue
with RAID-5.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->