[CentOS] Open Office 1.9.x

Wed Jul 13 06:54:18 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:36 -0700, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> I immediately ran into problems--
> 	1) The installation instructions were for OO 1.x.
> 	2) The download appears to be source RPMs.

I downloaded the version 1.9.104 (May 20th) binary RPMs for i386.
Build system on the RPMs is reported as up-smb2.germany.sun.com.

Now I'm runing these binaries on Fedora Core 3 x86-64 no less.
It's a stock x86-64 install, except I do manually swap out Firefox
x86-64 for Firefox i386 (so all my i386 plug-ins work).

So I'd say if a "plain Jane" Fedora Core 3 install (with limited Fedora
Extras / RPM.Livna.ORG packages) work, I don't see why it won't on
CentOS 4.

> Has anyone added OO1.9.113 to CentOS?

I would assume anything that runs on Fedora Core 3 would run on CentOS 4
without issue.  CentOS 3 might be an issue though.

As far as the source RPMs, maybe those are included because you need to
build it from source.  It could be a Java Runtime Engine (JRE)
requirement that might be taken out of newer builds in favor of a GPL
Java stack like GCJ.  I'm running Sun JRE 1.5.0_02 (i586 I believe) on
my x86-64 system.

But the RPMs didn't list them as a dependency.  In fact, I want to say
it was actually installed with the RPMs.  Now thinking back, it might
have installed Java with the RPMs in a single ".sh" file download and
subsequent run.

That might explain it the best, why I had no problems.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->