[CentOS] Re: Fix passwd/shadow/group files?

Thu Jul 14 22:02:19 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:42, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> > Good call!  That and the corresponding grpck found a couple of
> > duplicate lines that seemed to be confusing things.
>
> Any reason you haven't considered NIS?
> If you're worried about passwords, setup Kerberos for authentication.
> It's easier than you think.

The machines in question were set up years ago when it wasn't so
easy and are on opposite sides of a firewall (but sometimes have
NFS mounts in common).  One machine has all user accounts and things
are managed normally there.  The others only have small subsets
of users (on purpose) and I've pasted in the passwd entries from
the machine that has them all to keep the uids in sync for NFS and
rsync'ing chunks of stuff around.  I just had some duplicated lines
from the last OS version change where I copied too much from the
previous one.  I might re-do it with LDAP someday, but it's probably
more work to control the users that aren't supposed to log into these
machines than to separately add the ones that are.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at futuresource.com