[CentOS] Re: CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Mon Jul 18 21:45:47 UTC 2005
Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net>

}Of Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
}
}Which brings us back to the "old" P3 DL3xx series.
}I'd prefer to go that direction, with an added 64-bit @ 66MHz PCI
}SATA controller, than pay for a P4-core Celeron.
}
}Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
}

exactly one of the reasons i started this thread...

1st and most important bottom line is that CentOS works for me.

2nd is that I need to lay a different type of solid foundation of server
hardware with CentOS to jump from, other than the machines I build from
scratch... even though they work fine and last forever... unfortunately I
have NEVER (looked for years too) found cheap yet rock solid 2U - 4U rack
mount cases with or without redundant power supplies and any other goodies.
$200 or much less I think would be adequate eh?

It's like everyone "goes stupid" when you ask where to get them (i.e. cheap
reliable solid rack mount cases) or something. I mean really extremely brain
dead never heard of em cant do it they cost and arm and a leg and we cannot
stand behind it stupid!!

Isn't there a market for that so we can build CentOS servers galore?

anyways... some of this started when Bryan and others mentioned that the
PIII chip had some advantages over some P4 versions or something to that
effect.

Thanks

 - rh