[CentOS] CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Mon Jul 18 23:34:32 UTC 2005
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

>From: John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>
>

>>Yup, it's a shame to waste expensive horsepower if you don't need it and
>>most web stuff doesn't use a lot of horsepower.. Buy a bit above your
>>needs. Quality over horsepower as well, has been my philosophy.
>>

>Actually, it's not about waste IMHO.  It's about believing a newer
>processor design means the interconnect is better.
>
>A dual-P3 on a ServerSet IIIHE-SL will slap a P4-Celeron silly when it
>comes to server I/O.  Especially when you throw a GbE on one PCI
>channel, and your SATA RAID on another.

I mean spending 5 to 40g on a server that will get a 5% load, is just a
waste of money. It'll sit there and devalue at 50% per year and unless
you are growing like crazy, you'll never cross that magical horsepower
vs. money line.

>>A t-1 is still only 1/6th of a ten base ethernet card... and how much
>>power does it take to deliver products at one sixth of a 10base card?
>>Yeah, I know.... it's more complex than that. Database apps can eat up a
>>lot, email/spam systems can eat up HUGE amounts of processing power. But
>>if you're mostly delivering web pages, it just doesn't take much.
>>

>I guess I've been too used to having a GbE saturated.  ;->

Yeah, well, you keep throwing to bit eaters up and I'll sit back and
pick them up in a year or two and make lowly web servers out of 'em. ;)

I guess we all forget the other man's situation. Yeah, some networks
have huge throughput... and then others are just struggling for more
bandwidth for less money.... the ones who ultimately hook into a phone
system somewhere...... those of us stuck in the slow world of the
internet mired in the old school ways of the huge telcos.

Best,
John Hinton