[CentOS] FreeRADIUS

Tue Jul 19 12:58:57 UTC 2005
Joshua Hirsh <joshua.hirsh at partnersolutions.ca>

> I'm haveing problem with FreeRADIUS v1.0.1-3 which came with
> CentOS 4.1
> FreeRADIUS refuses to use system accounts for authentication.

Hi Joseph,

 FreeRadius 1.0.1-3 works fine on my systems using local system authentication (using UNIX instead of PAM). In my users configuration file, I have the following defined: "DEFAULT Auth-Type = System". Please also note, however, that your daemon will require READ access to your /etc/shadow file and you probably have it running with little to no permissions.

 You should create a new group (ex: shadow) and assign it to your /etc/shadow with read access and add your FreeRadius user into the group.

 That should correct your authentication issues. I vaguely recall having problems when I first tried to have it use PAM authentication (based on the RHEL3 version), but I haven't looked at the issue since then.

Regards,
-Joshua