[CentOS] Migrating from RHEL 4 to CentOS

Tue Jul 19 17:12:59 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov>

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:33 -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
> I think I've read that the changes between 3 and 4 are too drastic to do an
> upgrade.

Upgrades are not recommended by Red Hat, and doing a yum upgrade would
be problematic at best; however, an anaconda upgrade CAN be done
(attempted?) by specifying the "upgradeany" switch at the CD/DVD boot
prompt, or on the kernel line if started from grub for a hard disk or
network install/upgrade.  As usual have a good backup first (preferably
a bootable "clone" on separate disk[s]/partitions), be prepared to deal
with left-over packages after the upgrade ("rpm -qa --last >
RPMS_Installed" and look at the end of the list for packages older than
the upgrade date), and YMMV.

Phil