[CentOS] Install Problems Centos 4.1

Thu Jul 21 14:55:25 UTC 2005
Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>

"Don't know whether I understand you correctly, but RAID1 array sync is
started with firstboot after the installation finished."

Err....no it doesn't.... it syncs the array as it installs, do a cntrl-alt-f3 when installing to bring a shell up then do a "watch cat /proc/mdstat"

and you can see it building the array as its installing, do a cntrl-alt-f7 to get back to the graphics screen.....

I did actually find what the problem was and this was it:

The SIS 965 chipset is not supported by the kernel so the IDE interfaces runs S-L-O-W-L-Y  eg 1.7Mb/sec transfer rate to the disk, coupled with the RAID rebuilding in the background makes the install take about 6 hours if it can actually manage to complete, which it usually doesn't on this platform.

The solution: change the motherboard.... so I put a sempron socket A board in its place with a 3200+ CPU and it works fine....

:-)