[CentOS] Install Problems Centos 4.1

Thu Jul 21 21:02:42 UTC 2005
eli at streetlampsoftware.com <eli at streetlampsoftware.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:48, Dan Pritts wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:55:25PM +0100, Peter Farrow wrote:
>>
>>>"Don't know whether I understand you correctly, but RAID1 array sync is
>>>started with firstboot after the installation finished."
>>>
>>>Err....no it doesn't.... it syncs the array as it installs, do a
>>>cntrl-alt-f3 when installing to bring a shell up then do a "watch cat
>>>/proc/mdstat"
>>
>>I've observed this too.  Really irritating.
>

> RAID1 has to sync as you create it - and if it doesn't complete and
> shut down cleanly it will do it again on the first boot.  With
> hardware that is reasonable to run as RAID1 it shouldn't be
> noticeable.  Why is it irritating?

It halts the install of packages until the sync is done for the / mount
points. (/var/ /bin/ /etc/ ..)
As a mount is required, it snycs the drives.

Later, when installing the files in /boot, it syncs that too.
Basically, it is lots of waiting with what looks like a frozen task bar.
The waiting is the pain. ;)