[CentOS] Install Problems Centos 4.1

Fri Jul 22 02:21:58 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 16:02, eli at streetlampsoftware.com wrote:
> >>I've observed this too.  Really irritating.
> >

> > RAID1 has to sync as you create it - and if it doesn't complete and
> > shut down cleanly it will do it again on the first boot.  With
> > hardware that is reasonable to run as RAID1 it shouldn't be
> > noticeable.  Why is it irritating?
> >

> It halts the install of packages until the sync is done for the / mount
> points. (/var/ /bin/ /etc/ ..)
> As a mount is required, it snycs the drives.

I always do an NFS install so I don't wait around and watch, but I
don't see any reason a RAID1 has to wait for the sync to complete
before using it - it doesn't when you build one by hand.

> Later, when installing the files in /boot, it syncs that too.
> Basically, it is lots of waiting with what looks like a frozen task bar.
> The waiting is the pain. ;)

It should take about 15 seconds to sync /boot...  The thing that bothers
me more is that it doesn't know  enough to install grub on either
of the underlying drives, let alone both.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com