[CentOS] CentOS 4 snag with htaccess

Sun Jul 24 18:28:19 UTC 2005
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

> Are the only entries from ssl_error_log and they show only during
> restart of apache. I don't have a domain on this machine that I'd like
> to set as the default ssl domain, so I haven't done much with the ssl
> conf settings other than entering the server IP.
>
> Another difference between the two boxes, is the working box is a
> single domain box, so .htaccess is on the root domain. The one not
> working is a vhost on the box. I know that 'could' make a difference,
> but if it does I'm going to be really bothered!
>
> I have hit logs everywhere I can think to look and I can't find
> anything! It's like apache is simply not finding the .htaccess file,
> in spite of being told to look for one. I even tried adding
> AccessFileName .htaccess inside the virtualhost directive, and that
> didn't do anything either. It does exist in the main server conf area.
> WOW!!! I've never had such trouble!!!
>
> So, I disabled selinux, rebooted and still have the same issue..... I
> guess it's time to go off in another direction... get it working
> somewhere else, and then try to figure out what I've missed. I must be
> overlooking something... but darn if I've ever had it hidden so well.

OH crap.... I'm truly an idiot!!!! Beat myself to death on this.... and
I don't seem to be able to 'see' that I have made an idiot's mistake
forgetting to include public_html in the path to my directory. Right
there... all the time... right IN my FACE!!!

I'm so sorry for wasting everyone's time. <hugely embarrassed>.

I am just a little surprised that apache even restarted though. Most of
the time if a directory doesn't exist, it's pretty flaky. I think that's
why I wasn't really looking so hard at that. Man, I checked the spelling
of the path about 100 times... but...........

I'll have the better half cook up a hot noodle right now, and start
receiving my 50 lashes!

Thanks
John Hinton <with much egg on his face>