[CentOS] Re: K3b or another alternative for CentOS 3.5? -- logical block or physical character recording?

Mon Jul 25 22:09:35 UTC 2005
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Sunday 24 July 2005 21:46, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 22:22 +0300, Romeo Ninov wrote:
> > IMHO k3b is the best, don't search for alternative :-)

> K3b uses logical block records (and rewrites for MO media like CD-R,
> DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc...).  While this is easiest, it's not always the
> most compatible.  I.e., it's typically more than adequate for data, if
> that's what you want it for.  But if you're looking for the utmost
> player compatibility, you don't want to use logical block writes.

Ok, again, stop.

Does this answer the original poster's question?  He wants to write CD's;
hearing the excess information about DVD's doesn't help him.  Why is it so
hard to simply 'help' the original poster?

Last I checked, k3b for writing CD's uses CDRecord.  Since the OP's question
was about CD's and not DVD's, the whole packet of information about DVD's was
extraneous and superfluous.

I use K3B on a WhiteBox 3 machine; since I do use it to write data DVD's I had
to build a later growisofs for it, but for the CD recording side I have had
zero problems in over 1,000 CD's burnt, both audio and data.  As the drive I
have doesn't support DAO recording, I have it set to do TAO, which seems to
work just fine with every CD player I've tried the disc's in.

So, to answer the original question, K3B (of a recent version) works fine on a
RHEL3-derived system for burning audio CD's, assuming you have a good burner.

On my particular system I also have to make sure I run k3b as root; otherwise
the drive doesn't show up (since it is not the only CD drive in the system,
and since it uses ide-scsi (remember, CentOS3/WhiteBox 3/RHEL3 are 2.4
kernel) the system gets a little confused).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology