[CentOS] Mounting SMB shares for samba home dirs

Tue Jul 26 12:01:49 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 16:26 +1000, Nick Bryant wrote:

> > You can't have user permissions on 'foreign' file systems - all files
> > and folders are owned by whomever mounts it.
> >

> That explains the error then :)
>
> > You can download for free - Microsoft's SFU (Services for Unix) and
> > create NFS exports from the NAS Appliance and mount them on the
> > Linux/Unix system and share them but be prepared for some latency (I
> > sort of gave up on this concept myself). You could also create a 'DFS'
> > tree that has the 'base' on the Linux server and the subtrees on the NAS
> > appliance.
>
> Ok did this. Got NFS working on it... problem is that even though it doesn't
> bork with an error it still won't let me change the ownership. I think I
> know why but I don't know how to do a no_root_squash export on a W2k3 box of
> doom, and I won't go there on this list.
----
If I recall correctly, there was a check box on SFU when you create/edit
the nfs exports to 'allow root access' - I also use the username mapping
to map root <-> Administrator so Windows considers them to be one and
the same.
----

> > Of course there is no reason that you can't direct Samba to create
> > Windows Users 'HOMES' share directly on/from the NAS appliance itself
> > and that is likely the best/fastest way to do it. Since the NAS Server
> > is 'joined' to the domain, it will have all the user accounts and can
> > happily deal with the ACL's for the home share.
>
> It seems a little more complex but sounds like it would be the way forwards.
> Do you have any more info on exactly how about you create a user with a
> non-local fs home dir?
----
If you use usermgr.exe or the pdbedit command, you can put in the paths
for their home and profile directories individually...

\\NAS\USERS\craig
\\NAS\PROFILES\craig

man pdbedit
----

> > With Samba 3.0.x and LDAP or tdbsam backend, you can specify a unique
> > home and profile directory for each user and put them on different
> > servers if you wish.
> >

> It's running on samba 3 with tdb backend...
----
I tend to use LDAP and have some ability to edit ldif files directly
which isn't an option with tdb.

Craig