[CentOS] Re: SATA controller compatibility -- PDC20375 (patched into kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL)

Tue Jul 26 23:12:28 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 14:13 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Grab the SRPM and install it.
> Then cd to /usr/src/redhat/SPEC and prep the tree with
> "rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.4.spec".
> Now look in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD at the kernel tree --
> either just at files for IDE, or possibly do a quick config
> and see if it's listed under SATA support.
> It will be "Promise FastTrak TX2".
> If I have time, I'll do so tonight.

Actually, I see a number of SATA patches off-the-bat in the latest
2.4.21-32.0.1.EL release ...

  rpm -qpl kernel-2.4.21-32.0.1.EL.src.rpm
  linux-2.4.21-sata-carmel.patch
  linux-2.4.21-sata-diskdump.patch
  linux-2.4.21-sata-taroon.patch
  linux-2.4.21-sata.patch

And after prepping, I see a number of SATA drivers under the SCSI
system:

  Serial ATA (SATA) support (CONFIG_SCSI_SATA) [Y/n/?]
  AHCI SATA support (EXPERIMENTAL) (CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI) [M/n/y/?]
  Promise SATA TX2/TX4 support (EXPERIMENTAL) (CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_PROMISE)
[M/n/y/?]

The actual driver file in the build is:
  /drivers/scsi/sata_promise.c

Seems to be the same driver version 1.01 that is in the latest 2.6
kernels (i.e., I ran modinfo against my sata_promise on FC3).  Don't
know how good the Promise driver is, but the sata_nv says "experimental"
as well, and works perfectly for me.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->