[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 16:10:35 UTC 2005
Tom <admin at homemachine.net>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I'm the "he" in question, and for me there was no "sticking" with FC3. I
> only made the commitment to move from Windows to Linux a few weeks ago,
> and FC4 is the only distribution they make available on Fedora's own
> site, so I assumed it was the current one.
>
> So, I started with FC4, thinking it was merely the most recent, not
> realizing that it was actually a bleeding edge experimental version.
>
> On the Fedora Mailing list, someone recommended that I go with CentOS.
> But now that I'm here, I'm starting to regret it a bit. While Karanbir's
> posting helps, some of the links I chased down and my attempts to set up
> repositories have not worked so far and it's frustrating.
>
> This is probably just frustration talking, but at this point, I'm
> missing Windows. At least with Windows, there is far less confusion
> about versions and compatibility. Ditto for Mac. I've been experimenting
> with Linux for three weeks now, and I still have no idea which
> distribution actually works, let alone which will suit my needs. I have
> no idea what I gain or lose by choosing Debian builds over Red Hat
> builds or vice versa... and I've read reviews and distro watch and all
> that. I'm drowning in a sea of choices, and not in a good way.
>
> Dave

this is the contents of my /etc/yum.conf, paste it in yours
run yum update
hope it helps

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
exclude=webmin
installonlypkgs=kernel* #kernel-smp kernel-hugemem kernel-enterprise
kernel-debug kernel-unsupported kernel-smp-unsupported
kernel-hugemem-unsupported
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/caosity/centos-4/$releasever/os/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/cAos/centos-4/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#released updates
[update]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/caosity/centos-4/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/cAos/centos-4/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/caosity/centos-4/$releasever/addons/$basearch/