[CentOS] SD Card Reader not being recognized

Thu Jul 28 13:10:52 UTC 2005
Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>

On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:45 AM, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using address 7
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>  Vendor: BUFFALO   Model: CF CARD Reader    Rev: 3.06
>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> USB Mass Storage device found at 7
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

good!  this is the system telling you that it sees the card reader
as /dev/sda (you get that from "scsi removable disk sda").

try inserting a SD card and then running a command like "fdisk -l /
dev/sda" (which should, ideally, give you a listing of the partition
table on the SD card).  individual partitions on the card will be
referenced as /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 etc.  hopefully there'll be only
one partition, so you can try the following set of commands:

# mkdir /mnt/sdcard
# mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/sdcard (replace "X" with the partition number
you gleaned from fdisk)

if you get an error about filesystem type, try again:

# mount -t auto /dev/sdaX /mnt/sdcard

then do a "df" to see if the system sees a volume mounted on /mnt/
sdcard.

if all this works, you can start configuring your system to
automatically mount SD cards when they are inserted, but that's a
topic beyond the scope of this message.

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v