[CentOS] SD Card Reader not being recognized

Thu Jul 28 17:55:57 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov>

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 11:01 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Thursday 28 July 2005 10:11, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> > How do I do that if no icon comes up, or there is no place to browse
> > within the file system? If there is some location that I'm supposed to
> > know of where the SD card should have shown up, then please let me know
> > where that is.
>
> In KDE there is a nice device icon that automatically appears on the desktop.
> I just click it and it works automagically. Maybe you're using GNOME because
> that's the default on CentOS (too bad!), so you should switch to KDE. Just
> choose KDE in the menu at the bottom of the screen when loggin in.

KDE won't help if the device is not seen as being present...

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 08:05 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:45:53PM +0900, Dave Gutteridge enlightened
> us:
> > >You might also try running the dmesg command after plugging an SD
> card in
> > >see if it is recognized by the system at all.
> > >
> > This is the result of dmesg:
> >
> > Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> > usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
> > USB Mass Storage support registered.
> > usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using address 7
> > scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> >  Vendor: BUFFALO   Model: CF CARD Reader    Rev: 3.06
> >  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > USB Mass Storage device found at 7
> > Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> > Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Looks like that's the root of your problem. Why that's the case, I'm
> not
> sure. I don't have any external readers like that, so perhaps someone
> else
> with a little more experience with them can point you in the right
> direction. Googling the error might help as well.

Had similar problems with a USB external disk a while back.  Worked with
the FC2 kernel but not with WBEL3 (equivalent to CentOS3).  A kernel
update finally fixed the problem.  Are you up to date with the latest
kernel?  The CentOSplus kernel might be worth a try:

# yum --enablerepo=centosplus update kernel

To state the obvious (but perhaps not one still undergoing Windows
withdrawal :-), you will need to reboot to get the new kernel.

Have rebuilt FC kernels on CentOS to get otherwise unsupported devices
working, but hopefully won't have to go there.

Isn't this fun?  :-(  Too bad it doesn't "just work" [TM]. )-:

Phil