[CentOS] Re: Using CentOS as a file server on a win2K domain -- nothing to do with alternatives

Fri Jul 29 04:48:53 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 18:55, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > I pointed out that when I was testing Evolution it didn't work
> > right even on its own.  Admittedly that was a version or two ago
> > and I haven't tried the reminder notifications lately.
>
> With Evolution or Exchange?

When I tried using the evolution calendar some time ago it would
regularly stop poping up the reminders for days at a time, then
sometimes try to catch up with all of them at once.

> > When someone shows me the scheduling server that can be
> > transparently replaced with a different type because both
> > use only standard protocols this argument will mean something.
>
> ???  I thought I basically laid that out with OpenGroupware.ORG
> (OGo)  ???

Modifying every client isn't my idea of transparent.

> I'm still trying to figure out what you mean ... you're liking holding
> up much, much higher standards than for Exchange-Outlook.

I don't see any particular reason to change from one system
where you are locked in to using a specific server or change
all your clients to another system where you are equally locked
in to a different specific server.  When full-featured groupware
works with wire-level standards so the clients don't notice
if you change the server as you can do with email now, there
will be a compelling reason to dump the others.

> > I just want them to drive on the same road.
>
> That's like saying you want them to be on the same network, but they
> don't talk to each other.  ;->

Evolution talking to the same server as outlook is better
than nothing.  If/when an assortment of clients and servers use
common wire level standard protocols it will be even better.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com