[CentOS] OT: DVD and other things

Fri Jul 29 05:01:11 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Paul wrote:
> OK same tech as the Panasonic PD drives that stored 650MB/side ... of
> course I'm starting to wonder about my memory now.  Either way you can't
> stick them in a normal DVD drive and read them.

Definition of "normal DVD drive" will hopefully include DVD-RAM in near
future.  I just bought (this afternoon) DVD burner that does all three
standards: DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W) (+ dual layer), and DVD-RAM.  Same DVD
players (video components, not the one you stick into the computer) can
also read DVD-RAM media, and some camcorders use DVD-RAM as recording media.

I guess you ment "normal DVD media", since DVD-R and DVD+R mimic DVD-ROM
(as long as readers are concerned).  DVD-RAM is of course different
story (and as such much more advanced and versatile media then either
DVD-R or DVD+R).