[CentOS] Re: CentOS 4 install DVD

Fri Jul 29 08:54:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 23:50 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > The problem with the DVD is that it is > 2.0 GB and can not be served via
> > apache (and even some FTP servers) because of this size.  It is also a
> > bandwidth issue and storage issue (there are about 20GB of DVDs, the
> > entire tree is only 60GB without DVDs).
>
> Just out of pure curiosity.  What is then Red Hat using?  If I remeber
> correctly, Fedora DVD images are available from their HTTP/FTP servers.
>   And I guess it would be bad PR if they don't use what they ship with
> their flagship OS ;-)

Neither RHEL or FedoraCore is available via DVD from official Red Hat
channels ... So they don't serve > 2gb files.  The official mirrors for
RedHat and Fedora Core are not using standard RHEL files (at least not
standard RHEL 3 or 4), they say:

"Apache" and not "Apache(Red Hat)"

If you don't believe me concerning RH not distributing DVDs, see this
link:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/

This is just another way where the copy is better than the original :)