[CentOS] Linux newbie asks about sonypi on laptop

Sat Jul 30 17:02:13 UTC 2005
Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org>

Ralph Loizzo wrote:

> Okay.  I've been able to set my laptop's screen brighter by working
> with the program spicctrl and the sonypi device.
>
> <SNIP!>
>
> My questions are:
>
> Why do I have to recreate the device every time?  Shouldn't it be
> there every time?

Ralph,

If you are running CentOS 4, I believe CentOS 4 uses udev to create
device files at boot.  This is a new feature of the 2.6 kernel.  This
way the devices in the /dev directory should only represent what is
present on the machine as opposed to having 1000s of device files to
account for every last possibility.

I believe the configuration is handled in /etc/udev, but you should look
at the udev man page to make sure.  I seem to recall that there was a
way to configure udev to "keep" certain device files.

I wish I had more information for you.  The last time I configured
dynamic device files it was with devfs, which was an earlier attempt at
the same functionality.

Hope this helps,

Shawn M. Jones