[CentOS] Linux newbie asks about sonypi on laptop

Sun Jul 31 08:20:27 UTC 2005
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

Ralph Loizzo wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
>> On 7/30/05, Ralph Loizzo <ralphloizzo at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Okay.  I've been able to set my laptop's screen brighter by working with
>>> the program spicctrl and the sonypi device.
>>>
>>> But everytime I boot, I login under my username then have to do the
>>> following every time...
>>> First I go into the bash terminal, then su because I can't do this under
>>> my login name
> >>
>> As the following post indicated, you need to learn more about udev and
>> how to setup devices using udev.
>>
>> However, as a workaround, your can put the commands you have to issue
>> manually in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and they will be issued each time you
>> boot.
>>

> Well I went ahead and changed rc.local instead of rc.sysinit (which i
> had tried before)
> and it worked!
>
> I will investigate udev at a later time, but at least now I can see my
> screen!
>
> Thanks to you Collins and also to Shawn

This sounds much like the nvidia issues that plagued many nvidia
driver users. The issue involved udev and the nvidia driver some
time ago. I know it was answered in the Fedora list several times
you may want to google udev and nvidia. There is some syntax that
allows you to keep certain devices.

The problem was that you had to keep reinstalling the nvidia driver
because udev would empty every reboot. To solve this the following
was done as a result on google:

cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/
chown root: /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*

sooo..what you need to do is:
cp -a /dev/sony* (perhaps /dev/sonypi?) /etc/udev/devices/
chown root: /etc/udev/devices/sony* (perhaps /dev/sonypi?)

I think this would solve your problem...much more cleanly and
without having to muddle around with any rc.local anything, which is
not particularly ideal especially when you (and this may not be your
case) have to have a something present early on and not at the very
end of the entire boot process.

HTH

Alex White