[CentOS] installation count?

Michael Kress kress at hal.saar.de
Thu Jun 2 05:25:22 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes schrieb:

>On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 21:23 -0400, Todd Blake wrote:
>

>>Out of curiousity...I wonder if anyone has an idea of how many centos
>>installations are out there?
>>

>169,788 distinct IP addresses have asked for updates since 04-Mar-2005
>from mirror.centos.org
>
>That doesn't include anyone who does their updates from one of the
>external public mirrors (current 45 listed).

Hi,

I'm glad, nobody started to count directly, like
 "one" (me)
:-)
Apart from that I don't think, it's a good measure to count the IP
addresses "since". A better measure might be to release _one_ update and
to count, how many guys download that update within say two weeks,
morover to ask the mirror guys to give away their access data for this
update.
The best way might be to implant an easter egg, which connects to a kind
of a counter server, but this might lead to many discussions...
cu - Michael
--

Michael Kress / kress at hal.saar.de / please use pgp (key on hp)
http://www.michael-kress.de / http://kress.net