[CentOS] top not showing %CPU

Warren Harris

centos.5.warren at recursor.net
Thu Jun 2 05:42:12 UTC 2005

I'm running with CentOS4 on a 2 cpu machine. I'm running a java process
which creates a large number of threads as well as other native
processes running under heavy load mixing 200+ audio streams. However,
top shows none of these having any %CPU time. All of them read 0.0,
except for top itself which occasionally shows up with 0.7, and
migration/N with 0.3. All other processes read 0.0. The load average of
the machine varies between 1.5 and 4.0.

Any suggestions on where to look for the problem would be appreciated,

Warren