[CentOS] Reboots

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Thu Jun 2 17:15:28 UTC 2005

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>><SNIP>
>>2. glibc is upgraded and the individual instances of old versions in RAM
>>are impacting performance (mostly from kernel processes that cannot be
>>restarted unless one does a reboot)
>>

>Hum ? Kernel processes using glibc ? I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken
>on this one.
>

>>3.  If glibc is updated, you must reboot to have many processes use the
>>new glibc.
>>

>This can be acomplished without the need of a reboot.</SNIP>

Yeah, now that I reread it, I don't know what I was thinking when I
wrote that. I do know that we had a machine that had been up for YEARS
with processes each running various versions of glibc, but looking back,
I think the reboot was done because it was easier that identifying each
process and restarting them in order.

--Shawn