[CentOS] Re: Vote For CentOS :) -- entitlements are to subscriptions, not products ...

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 17:16:47 UTC 2005

From: Simon Perreault <nomis80 at lqt.ca>
> Isn't it acceptable for Red Hat to sell SLAs on a per-computer basis?
> I really don't get where you're going.

The main problem people have in understanding RHEL is that they
don't understand it is a subscription with guarantees and, optionally,
service level agreements (SLAs).

It's _not_ a product at all.  Red Hat has been wanting to get away
from a "product" every since they came out with Red Hat Linux 6.2 "E"
Service Level Agreements.

E.g., you _never_ pay for an "upgrade," if you have an active entitlement,
you are entitled to whatever product, current or past, that is still actively
supported.

You could even subscribe while RHEL 4 is current today and install RHEL
2.1 and be supported until it is retired (in another year or so).  At the
same time, you will get RHEL 5 if you have entitlements when it comes
out.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org